Pages

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Macros In Krita

Graphic Bit #2

This tip teaches you how to use macros in Krita 2.4.

Macros are a way to automate repetitive tasks.  You initially record the steps to complete a task, but then you only have to play back the macro to repeat those same steps.

I use Krita almost exclusively to sketches and layouts.  When I have a drawing that I really like and want to develop further, I usually ink directly over top the sketches.  I set my sketch on the bottom layer and ink above it.  I prefer to have my sketches set to a different color to distinguish it from the inks.  So I normally use the HSV Adjustment filter to change my sketched lines to a bluish color.  Since I do this repeatedly I decided to create a macro to automate this process.



Creating A Macro

Here is the original sketch of a character I created called Doc Halo:


Now I want to create a macro to record the steps of changing this guy from black lines to blue lines. Go to Tools > Recording > Start Recording Macro.  Although you won't see any indicators, Krita is now recording every mouse click.

Next I go into Filter > Adjust > HSV Adjustment and fool around with the settings to get a blue tint.  


I am now done with the task steps so I must stop the recording by going to Tools > Recording > Stop Recording Actions.  Krita immediately opens a Save Dialog to save the macro as a .krarec file.  And my macro is complete.

To use a macro go to Tools > Macro > Open and play.  Navigate to your .krarec file, and you're done.

Macros in any program are a great way to automate repetitive tasks and in a lot of cases save you a lot of time you should be devoting to creating.  You should always be in the mindset to make your computing experience as easy as possible.

Links

Doc Halo completed inks.



No comments:

Post a Comment